Safe and Secure in Atlanta
Read this tip to make your life smarter, better, faster and wiser. LifeTips is the place to go when you need to know about East Coast Roommates and other Room Mates topics.
How can I remain safe when searching for roommates?
Searching for Atlanta roommates is now easier and safer than ever thanks to online search sites like roommates.com, which allow you to create a confidential profile and share contact information at your discretion. Nevertheless, caution is still advisable. When searching for Atlanta roommates, use these quick tips to stay safe:
- Exchange phone numbers and email in advance of the first meeting. Actually confirm the phone number belongs to the person using the number.
- If you are searching for a rental, make sure the house belongs to the person who placed the advertisement.
- Ask a friend to join you. There is safety in numbers so it's always a good idea to bring a friend along whenever you meet for the first time.
- Only show your house or apartment once you have confirmed the contact information of the person and have a full name and current address. There have been cases where robbers poised as potential renters in order to later rob the home. Don't mention your schedule or vacations until later in the negotiation strategy.
- Don't be rushed into showing your property or visiting a property. Schedule an appointment and then stick to that schedule.
- Don't leave valuables laying around the apartment or wear expensive jewelry.
- Never accept or pay cash for a deposit. Money orders or cashiers checks are safer.
- Use a reputable search service like roommates.com to connect with potential Atlanta roommates rather than public forums or classified advertisements.